Michael C. Smatt, D.C.
Shining a Light
Shining a Light
Activism, Legislation, and Philanthropy
Michael C. Smatt, DC
The are some chiropractors who have so significantly changed the world for chiropractic, that’s it’s hard to imagine what the practice landscape would have looked like without them. TCL would like to honor Dr. Smatt, the Director and Founder of the Madison Avenue Chiropractic Center, for a lifetime of work putting a high profile spotlight on chiropractic.
A graduate of New York Chiropractic College, Dr. Smatt has been in private practice since 1980. Thanks to his legislative efforts, insurance coverage for chiropractic became law in New York. His influence has immeasurably increased chiropractic’s profile on national TV through his work with Dr. Mehmet Oz on “The Dr. Oz Show” and Healthcorps, Dr. Oz’s national nonprofit aimed and empowering teens to take charge of their health and happiness. Dr. Smatt’s most touching contribution may be his work immediately after 9/11 that assured round-the-clock chiropractic care for first responders at Ground Zero.
Here are just a few of his accomplishments over the course of his career:
- Diplomate of the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Legislative Advisor to the New York Chiropractic Council
- Officer and Director of the Political Action Committee
- Past member of the Legislative Committee of the International Chiropractors Association
- Received the Beacon Award, naming him Chiropractor of the Year 1997-1998
- Received the Assemblyman Peter Mirto Award in 1998 for his legislative victories
- Elected a Distinguished Fellow of the International Chiropractors Association 1999, and was honored by Governor George E. Pataki in September, 1999.
- Featured on Woman’s Day Television with his patient, former Miss America, Phyllis George, in a segment celebrating the benefits of chiropractic healthcare.
- Featured on the cover of Today’s Chiropractic Magazine and on the cover of Hooked on Health Magazine with his patients, Marla Maples Trump and later with Gloria Steinem.
- Instrumental in the passage and enforcement of the Insurance Equality Law in 1997, which requires insurance companies to provide coverage for Chiropractic care. Dr. Smatt was presented with the pen used to sign this bill into law by Governor Pataki.
- Appointed by Commissioner Charles A. Gargano the Official Chiropractor and provided a team of Chiropractors to serve at the Goodwill Games 2000, which took place in Lake Placid, N.Y., February, 2000.
- Immediately met with FEMA after 911 and secured credentials for the chiropractic profession to have full access to ground zero. Dr. Smatt was honored by the N.Y. Chiropractic Council for his contributions at Ground Zero after 911 in November, 2002. Several sites were set up at Ground Zero to provide Chiropractic Care to police, firefighters and rescue workers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, for one full year. Dr. Smatt organized access to these sites with the N.Y. Chiropractic Council, FEMA and the Red Cross. The Madison Avenue Chiropractic Center was also appointed as the Official Chiropractors for Port Authority Police Officers in February, 2003.
- Received Lifetime Membership to International Chiropractors Association, September, 2005.
- Received the prestigious B.J Palmer Award of Excellence from the Connecticut Chiropractic Council, September, 2005.
- Appointed to the Advisory Board, October, 2006 to Healthcorps, Founder Dr. Mehmet Oz.
- Authored the chiropractic portion of the curriculum for Healthcorps, now in 55 high schools in 14 states emphasizing proper nutrition, exercise, fitness, chiropractic and mental resilience, November, 2013. 1,500,000 teens and 600,000 community members have been empowered by Healthcorps as of October, 2015.
- Received the Crystal Heart Award from Dr. Mehmet Oz at the Healthcorps Gala April 2015. Dr. Smatt also appeared on the Dr. Oz Show on June 8th, 2015.
TCL readers who would like to explore Dr. Smatt’s Madison Avenue Chiropractic Center website will find it at: http://www.chirotime.com.